Sunday, August 26, 2012

Meet the Family: Jammin' with Jesus and the Rest of the GFU Community

Today has been absolutely incredible.

As you already know from the last post, it was Slip-N-Slide on the Quad day. It was wet and cold and muddy and soapy but it was a total blast.


The big thing today, though, was our All Campus Worship Session, or as I call it, "Jammin' with Jesus". We all gathered at the amphitheater, where the campus pastors and Spiritual Leadership were waiting with the Worship team. I sat with a few of the great people I have been blessed to get to know over the past few days.

(Left to right: Heather, Tory, Jerika, Allie, Cheldon, Lexi, and Andrew.)


A few people spoke, and we had a time of worship, and I realized, not for the first time, people saying things that are so fitting to my situation that it can't be coincidence.

Since I got here, the speakers have said things like, "Some of you are here because you've been dreaming about it, but finances haven't worked out until now," or, "Some of you are here because you need to be a part of a family, and you didn't get that wherever you were."

It was the most amazing worship session I've ever been a part of. Several hundred people, singing, worshiping, crying, taking communion, and praying together as part of a family. 

What pushed me over the edge was taking communion. I took it, and the staff member who gave it to me said, "Welcome home."

Then we did this ceremony where we all put our thumbprints one by one onto a painting of a tree with no leaves, to symbolize that we are here to grow and learn together as one. I turned around and another staff member, and a student, said, "Welcome to the Family."

This is where I am supposed to be.

Afterwards there was a club fair, and I signed up for Gospel Choir and got some cotton candy. Follow that up with some roommate bonding time, and you have a happy girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment