Sunday, September 16, 2012

Meet the Hunger Games: GFU Olympics and Blanket Forts.

Another eventful week at GFU!

First things first, I had my first missing class day, because I got sick. Sick days are no fun. But what was fun, was getting to see a Broadway show for free, courtesy of the George Fox Theatre Department.
Me with the poster for Memphis.
 It was a great show. I laughed, I cried, and the music was amazing!

The next great thing about this week was blanket fort movie night with my wonderful and lovely roommate Amy.

The housemates were all out at a beach bonfire, so we commandeered the living room.


Our amazing blanket fort, complete with pillows, tv, and ice cream.
We had a great night watching Miss Congeniality and Wayne's World, something Amy had never seen before!


We ended up staying up until about 3:30 AM, but it was so definitely worth it, especially since it was a Friday, so we could sleep in tonight.







And then we arrive at Saturday: the big night. Every year at GFU, we have what is called the "Main Event," known this year as "GFU Olympics" and by some as the "75th annual Hunger Games."

Each housing area teams up and competes in a series of games against the other housing areas, while wearing their team's colors and chanting their cheers.

We were HAW: Houses and Apartments West.                              
The flag for HAW.
We were competing against HAE: Houses and Apartments East, The Freshman Dorms, The Coed Dorms, and HMS. Our color was black.
 

Our T-Shirts.
Amy and I getting pumped.
 




I talked Amy into coming with me when I found out she has never attended this momentous event. We had a great time getting ready... especially with the war paint.






Our housemates also had fun getting all painted up for the games. This picture to the right is just the getting READY to paint. 










The got a little excited with the paint. Especially when I came over to take some pictures. My arm was officially decorated in the team colors
 (against my will).
Ready to battle, we headed for war! I got pretty into it, but some others got even MORE into it. 


Here are just a few of our unofficial "mascots". Gorrila Boy, Green Man, and Connor (who painted himself all black.) That's commitment.  The games began, including a torch lighting ceremony, judges, a cheer off, medal counts, a chariot race, and music ranging from Pirates of the Caribbean to Kung Fu Fighting.
  
Andrew and I celebrating after the games.
 

It was a great night with a lot of laughs and fun with friends, and HAW took second! We were in first until the final round, a chain gang balloon game. But silver is pretty good, and the freshman didn't win, something almost unheard of at GFU.


I leave you with my newest gift from roommate. A glow in the dark Pteranodon. I love that girl.





No comments:

Post a Comment